0412 128 443 / 0434 284 547 / 0434 288 271

Frequently Asked Questions

Q) What’s the first step in getting a heavy vehicle licence?
A) The first step is to complete the RMS Driver Knowledge Test for the licence class you wish to achieve, and upon completion, purchase an RMS HVCBA logbook and Guidebook. See our Links page for access to a practise test and other useful resources.

Q) I’ve passed the Knowledge Test at the RMS, then what?
A) Simply follow these three steps:

Step 1: Enquire with us by email or phone 0412 128 443, request our current schedule of fees and available course dates, and then make an appointment.

Step 2: We will send you an email with all relevant details about the booking, including a student information pack, a link to an online enrolment form, an invoice, and our bank details. Read over the documents we send you, complete the online enrolment form, and pay the $200 deposit (balance paid on training date).

Step 3: Turn up on the agreed day with your current driver licence, relevant HVCBA logbook and guidebook, balance of payment (if required), shoes suitable for heavy vehicle driving, a hi-vis safety shirt/vest/jacket/jumper (we will supply one if you do not bring one) and glasses/contacts (if required), and a packed lunch (optional).

Q) What is your refund policy?
A) See here.

Q) I have no experience driving trucks or buses, does your training cater for beginners?
A) Yes it does. Courses start with verbal instruction while the vehicle is stationary, or in front of a whiteboard, and then we progress to a low level traffic situation, before progressing on to busier road situations.

Q) What is a constant-mesh gearbox?
A) Also known as a Crashbox. A tried and tested technology, which is still found in many heavy vehicles. A gearbox that requires the driver to double de-clutch between gear changes. A student that achieves competence in a heavy vehicle with a constant-mesh gearbox will receive an unrestricted licence from the RMS, upon satisfying all RMS application processes. See instructional videos here

Q) Do I need an unrestricted/constant-mesh licence?
A) See here, this may help you decide. Call us if you’re still unsure.

Q) What is a synchromesh gearbox?
A) The gearbox that’s found in a manual car is a synchromesh gearbox.

Q) What does condition ‘B’ mean on a heavy vehicle driver licence?
A) A licence holder applying for a higher class of licence and passing the driving test or HVCBA assessment in a vehicle with an automatic or synchromesh gearbox will have the licence for the higher class endorsed. In both circumstances the licence will be endorsed with a condition ‘B’:

“may only drive a heavy vehicle fitted with an automatic or synchromesh gear box”.

This condition applies to licence classes MR, HR, HC and MC. It does not apply to licence classes C or LR.

There is no licence endorsement if:

the assessment is passed in a truck fitted with a constant mesh (crash) gear box the driver already holds a class MR or higher that is not endorsed with the synchromesh condition under HVCBA all criteria have been passed in a vehicle with a constant mesh (crash) gearbox.

Removal of Condition B

Heavy vehicle drivers who wish to have a ‘B’ condition removed from their licences can do so by:

undergoing an RMS driving test in a vehicle which is fitted with a crash gear box; or
undertaking a Competency Test (CT).
This test vehicle can be any vehicle type authorised by a class MR or higher. For example, a driver with a class HR licence endorsed with a condition ‘B’ can have the condition removed by passing a short test in a vehicle covered by a class MR, HR licence.

Extract from:

HVCBA Assessment Standards and Requirements, Version: 1.0, Page 7 of 11, Publication number: RMS 14.417, Effective date: 15/09/2014

Q) Am I guaranteed to pass my driving assessment in the included package deal hours, or in one day?
A) You’re not guaranteed, but we set out to work as efficiently as possible, without cutting corners or compromising the integrity of the licence assessment. Our market research shows that students prefer an intensive assessment strategy, and we set out to deliver that. However, some applicants do benefit from having their training hours delivered over multiple sessions, which minimises fatigue, and can make the course content easier to digest. We have training courses that are flexible, and reasonable in the sense that the hours we include in the initial course fee will allow most students to meet the performance criteria. We do not want dissatisfied customers, we want to leave customers with a pleasant and rewarding experience. We are very conscious of protecting our brand, and experience a large amount of client referrals from satisfied students. It’s false economy to spend thousands of dollars per year on advertising, only to mislead, and then disappoint a customer. Everyone here at Alltruck Driver Training sleeps well at night knowing that all our students have been given a fair go, and have been trained and assessed to the highest standard.

Q) English is my second language, can I do the training?
A) Sydney being the multicultural melting pot that it is requires us to cater for all applicants regardless of their grasp on the English language. The verbal delivery of the training may be conducted at a slower rate, due to the language barrier. We have many years experience teaching students with English as a second language. Due to safety reasons, and required by RMS, there are some non-negotiable aspects of the training program. An example would be if a students English language skill prohibits them from following instruction whilst driving. If our Training Needs Analysis establishes a skills gap in Language, our staff will offer assistance in finding another provider who speaks the same language as the student, and/or assist in finding an English language training program to refer the student to. RMS has provided some guidance on working with students with English as a second language.

Q) I have a disability, can I do your courses?
A) Our attitude is simple: If the government regulator (RMS or TfNSW) allows you to drive a truck or bus, then you most definitely can. We have clearly defined, and strictly implemented Access and Equity Policy in place, as part of our quality management system. With some disabilities, the RMS may require that the student be tested by their testing officers. In these cases, we can train you and our vehicle can be used for the test. Our staff members genuinely feel a sense of job satisfaction helping a student with a disability to achieve their training goals. We have experience in training students with cerebral palsy, amputees, the hearing impaired, and other students with special needs.

Q) Can I use my own vehicle for the training and assessment?
A) We strictly work in our own vehicle for HVCBA, but will work in clients vehicles for Verification of Competency assessments and Driver Refreshment courses. With this policy we can guarantee that the vehicle is roadworthy and suitable for training. If we did offer the assessment in clients’ vehicles, the course fee wouldn’t change, so you’re better off using our fuel. Exceptions may apply for Competency Test (CT), but the cost associated with a CT is more that completing an HVCBA. Call for more info on this matter.

Q) Do I need to wear safety clothing during the training?
A) We do require a High Visibility shirt/vest/jacket/jumper to be worn at all times during the assessment, including breaks. You’re welcome to bring your own, but we will supply a ‘Hi-Vis’ vest if you do not own one, or if you forget to bring it on the day. Steel-cap shoes are an option, but not a requirement. Our risk assessment does not find any risk associated with falling objects, and you can’t run over your own foot if you’re the one driving. Comfortable ‘closed in’ foot wear like runners or sneakers are recommended, no thongs. All student participate in a safety induction at commencement of the training/assessment.

Q) What is a Registered Training Organisation?
A) Registered training organisations (RTOs) are those training providers registered by ASQA (or, in some cases, a state regulator) to deliver VET services. RTOs are recognised as providers of quality-assured and nationally recognised training and qualifications. There are currently around 5000 RTOs in Australia. A complete list of RTOs is maintained at www.training.gov.au which is the authoritative national register of the VET sector in Australia.

Q) What are the benefits of dealing direct with a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) to upgrade my licence?
A) See here.

Q) Does it cost more to deal direct with a Registered Training Organisation, in comparison to an organisation that is not registered?
A) No it doesn’t, well not with us it doesn’t. Our fee schedule is heavily influenced by market pricing, and we will continue to remain very competitive. Most of our competitors are not RTOs themselves, they partner with an RTO, and the partnering RTO will take a fee for micro managing them, and administering their training delivery.

Comments are closed.

    Contact Us